"We do not inherit the earth from our parents we borrow it from our children.” Chief Seattle, circa 1854
"To Our Children’s Children’s Children”- The Moody Blues, November 1969
For Bob Desautels, Founder of The Neighbourhood Group of Companies (NGC), Chief Seattle’s quote and the classic Moody Blues’ album summarizes not only his personal beliefs and operating values but also those of the NGC.
"To me the message of this quote and this album are very clear and poignant,” says Desautels. "Both expressed visions that were clearly ahead of their times! These messages made me always think of the future in dictating what I do today! My overall guiding philosophy and decision making processes personally and professionally are best summed-up by this philosophy. I believe that we have no alternative as ‘There is No Planet B!’ Acting locally with environmentally sustainable business practices is really for our Children’s Children’s Children from whom we are borrowing this earth.”
Founder The Neighbourhood Group of Companies Ltd.
Bob Desautels’ granddaugther Ava visiting the banks of the Speed River, Guelph, Ontario.
The Neighbourhood Group of Companies (NGC) philosophy is based upon Three Core Values.
Operate restaurants that promote locally crafted, natural foods and beverages while championing the farmers and producers that made them.
Create unique venues that preserve the past while showcasing regional building materials, decor motifs and contemporary artisanal craftspeople.
Operate our restaurants in a sustainable fashion with the goal to reduce our carbon footprint and overall waste annually.
To operate profitable restaurants that set the "gold" standard for hospitality and attract customers for life - people who feel our restaurants are their "home-away-from-home".
Develop signature food and beverage products to be sold in our restaurants and in other retail locations.
To achieve our vision through like-minded staff by engineering a professional and "up-beat" group culture that respects and develops passionate team members while promoting life balance and their professional growth.
OUR OVERALL GOAL IS TO BECOME THE NATIONAL LEADER IN THE RESTAURANT INDUSTRY IN THE PROMOTION OF LOCAL NATURAL FOODS AND BEVERAGES, SUSTAINABLE PRACTICES AND FINANCIAL GROWTH.
"Simply, we are committed to serving the very best of locally crafted, natural foods and beverages at everyday prices. We bring the highest quality of fresh products from Ontario farmers, breweries and wineries to our guests each and every day. Combined with a deep respect for local heritage and craftsmanship and an unwavering dedication for sustainability, our restaurants represent the embodiment of our philosophy as it took form in the late sixties.”
The "Big Five”
Since 1990, we have strongly believed that "going local” is the way to go! Here’s why:
- Most foods and beverages taste better and are of higher quality and nutritional content when they are fresh. This means that more often than not, you need to source these products locally.
- When a business supports a region’s producers it contributes to a more diversified and stronger local economy which, in turn, garners strong loyalty towards that business from the people in the community.
- Food and beverages travel long distances in North America (on average almost 3,000 kilometres!) Minimizing these "drink and food miles” will reduce everyone’s ecological footprint and help combat global warming.
- Locally produced food is often subject to stronger regulations than most imports so it is safer. It also allows us to monitor whether farms are using sustainable practices.
- It gives added pleasure to actually know the people who grow your food. This emotional connection enhances your dining experience. Enjoy the food and feel the love!